QuickBooks error 6147 appears at the time of accessing the corrupted company file. It may also appear when the backup file is missing. Due to this issue, an error text appears that states “Error code -6147, when attempting to open my company file or a backup file”
The user is denied several tasks when this error occurs. You must understand more about this issue. So, let’s get in and understand what QuickBooks error 6147 is.
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6147?
QuickBooks error 6147 represents the company file issue. It belongs to the 6000 series error. You face it when the software cannot restore the backup from the local system. It occurs again when you open the QB file with the following text.
This is not a QuickBooks Data File or There is a Problem With The Data File. OR Error code -6147, 0 when attempting to open my company file or a backup file.
The issue indicates issues within the company file. It can either be damaged or corrupted. To resolve this error the user has to rectify the damages of the QB company file first.
But before hopping to the solution, the user has to know the factors behind the error because it helps to ease the path towards resolving the error.
Factors triggering QuickBooks error 6147
Lots of causes are responsible for the QuickBooks error 6147. Like:
- Corrupted QuickBooks downloads
- QuickBooks software is not installed properly.
- Windows registry file is not working
- Missing QuickBooks desktop-related files.
- When the user restores a backup from a network drive.
- If the QB file is damaged
- The name of the file goes beyond the limit of 210 characters
- Any kind of malware and virus attacks.
Symptoms to identify the error
Not only does the screen become blank with the error text given at the top. But, you face several other issues as well. Like:
- Windows is not running properly
- Slow response from the Windows OS
- The user could not open or access the QB application.
- Windows response is quite slow.
These symptoms will help you to immediately identify the issue whenever it appears again in the future. It will save your time and effort to apply the correct troubleshooting.
You May Also Like: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6010
How to fix the QuickBooks Error 6147
As we have acknowledged all the reasons and symptoms of this error, it’s time to move ahead with the troubleshooting below.
Solution 1: Run QuickBooks file doctor
- To initiate, move towards the official download link of QuickBooks file doctor.
- Just download the tool on your device.
- Then, install and run the downloaded file qbfd.exe
- Run your QB file doctor.
- Scan the files and try to diagnose the problem.
- Just complete this whole scanning procedure.
- Finally, restart the system.
Solution 2: Move QB file to another location
- First of all, log in to QuickBooks.
- Navigate towards the File menu.
- After that, choose the utility button.
- Click on the Stop Hosting with Multi-user mode.
- Hit Yes when you receive a prompt.
- Again, hit Yes for another prompt
- Meanwhile, try to restore the backup.
- Also, ensure that the company file name is within the limit of 210 characters.
Solution 3: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Head towards the Intuit official site.
- Then, just download the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool.
- Once the download gets completed, you need to install the tool.
- For that, double-click on the QuickBooksDesktopInstallDiagnosticTool.exe.
- Thereafter, run the file to fix the issue.
- Restart your computer after completing the scanning.
- Just check and examine whether the error is resolved or not. \
Solution 4: Configure Trend Micro Antivirus Setting
- To start with, move towards the Antivirus setting option.
- Then, click on the tab named Ignore the Track.
- Try to overlook the main QB file.
- Subsequently, just access the QB company file.
- Also, hit the Ctrl button.
- Meanwhile, you will get to the place where you saved the data file.
- Thereafter, just run the QuickBooks software.
- Hit the F2 button.
- Try to locate the location of your company file while on the Product Information window.
- In the end, you are only required to check whether this issue is fixed or not.
You May Also Like: QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
Solution 5: Rename .ND and .TLG file
If the name of your company file exceeds the limit then again you could not open it on your device. Therefore, it is required to rename the .ND and .TLG company files.
- Navigate towards the folder where you have located your QB file.
- Make sure to right-click on the transaction log file.
- It is appeared as .TLG there.
- While renaming, add old extension there.
- Just as Company_file_name.OLD.QBW.TLG.
- Do the same procedure for another .ND file too.
- Then, delete the extension code.
- Afterward, restart the QB desktop and open the QB file.
Solution 6: Rename .ADR file
- To initiate, move towards the folder where you have saved the QB file.
- Thereafter, just try to locate the QuickBooks.ADR file.
- Make sure to open the QuickBooks.ADR file.
- Then, you will be able to locate the recent ADR files.
- Subsequently, perform a right-click on the same file.
- And, choose Rename button.
- Try to rename the file extension from .adr to .qbw.
Solution 7: Run Rebuild Utility Tool
- First, go to the File Menu and select the Utility option there
- Inside the utility folder, navigate to the Rebuild the data option
- Now the user will encounter an instant pop-up window on the screen stating take company file, click on the Ok option in the window.
- If the system is showing a message QuickBooks is not responding then click on the Ok option and proceed to the Utility Tool to run.
- After commanding the utility Tool to Run, the scanning process was initiated on the system to determine the QuickBooks error code 6147.
You May Also Like: QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
Solution 8: Trend Micro Active Scan
- Go to the folder where your company’s file is saved
- Now, press the Ctrl key and then double-click on QuickBooks to open it without disturbing the company’s file.
- After that choose the company file, which is probably on the top of the list of the files.
- Now a file list will open up on the screen that displays the location of the file.
- And then the user has to open the scan settings of the Trend Micro active scan. The user has to make sure to carefully select the folder and add it to the exception.
- Now the user can visit the page of Trend Micro support on the website to know how to set the exception with the files or folder.
Solution 9: Close all QuickBooks Processes
- Open the server system.
- Now, just log in as an admin.
- Hit Ctrl + shift + Esc buttons together.
- Try to show the processes for all users.
- Thereafter, highlight the following qbupdate.exe, QBW32.EXE, and QBDBMgr.exe.
- Hit End Task also.
- Finally, just open the QB file using the multi-user environment.
So, these are all the possible ways that will help you in eradicating the QuickBooks error 6147. We hope that you have smoothly resolved this issue. However, if there arises any kind of other issues and problems then don’t hesitate to contact our advisors. They will guide you the best to get rid of the issue.