The software company Intuit launched an incredible financial software named Quickbooks to help business owners manage financial tasks easily. It is affordable as well as a lifetime purchase. Also, it offers numerous to assist the company owners to perform tough tasks at their fingertips. But is it error-free? No, this software is also prone to certain bugs and errors that hinder the users’ work. Quickbooks Error H505 is one such error the users mostly complain about.
This common issue takes place while opening a company file that is running simultaneously on another host computer. This error comes under the H-series errors that also occur when you access the file in multi-user mode. It is obvious that to continue your work on the file and to ensure the smooth functioning of the software, you must fix this error quickly.
In this detailed post, we will discuss the factors behind Quickbooks Error H505, its signs, and indications to identify and best troubleshooting steps.
Quickbooks Error H505: Briefly Explained
We have already discussed that this error occurs when you switch to multi-user mode. This nagging error obstructs the connection of the multi-user to the server. After getting infected by this error, your screen shows a notification.
Belonging to the H series, this error is accompanied by H202, H101, H303, etc. You are immediately stopped from resuming your task and we know how bad it can affect your business. But the question is, why does this error take place? Let’s move to that part.
Reasons For The Error H505 Quickbooks
This nagging error doesn’t appear from anywhere, several factors are responsible for its birth. You can avoid the same error to take place in the future after learning the main source of it. Let’s read the factors behind Quickbooks Error Code H505.
- The firewall is stopping the communication (both incoming and outgoing) to your company file.
- Improper configuration settings of the hostings.
- The database server is unable to scan all QuickBooks files/folders on the server.
- Missed, damaged, or lost .ND file.
- QuickBooks is unable to trace the computer’s IP address.
- QuickBooksDBXX service isn’t functioning.
- Improper DNS settings.
Indications to Identify Quickbooks H505 Error
Many Quickbooks errors are similar that can cause confusion among the users. This is why they apply the wrong methods to fix an error and badly fail. So, to save your time and patience, we have covered the main symptoms of this error.
- You can’t work in multi-user mode.
- QuickBooks Error H505 crashes the program window.
- When you try to access the company file, your laptop crashes.
- Another indication is the appearance of the error code related to “H505 Quickbooks Error Fix” on your screen.
- The windows function slowly to the inputs by keyboard and mouse.
- The system periodically freezes.
- When you tap on the Quickbooks Icon, the mouse cursor just stops moving.
After learning the causes and symptoms, you now have sufficient information about QuickBooks Error H505 and can move to the troubleshooting part.
Quickbooks H505 Error Fix: Proven Solutions
This nagging error is frustrating as hell but at the same time is fixable with some technical aid. You will get all the information to deal with this error efficiently in the further part.
Method 1: Using QuickBooks File Doctor
Quickbooks File Doctor acts as a defense wall against numerous errors of the software. It has various tools that scan and fix the error immediately. Let’s check how to utilize it.
- Check that you have the latest version of the QuickBooks installed in your system.
- Visit Intuit website and start downloading QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- After successfully downloading it, install it on the system and run it.
- Reach out to the “Company File Issues” section in the tool hub and choose QuickBooks File Doctor. Remember, the tool can consume some time to download.
- After it is successfully installed, choose “Repair Company File & Network.”
- In the end, attempt to access the company file one more time after completing the repair process.
Method 2: Checking Services and Hosting
First Step: Verify the Services
- Confirm that QuickBooksDBXX & QBCFMonitor services are working:
- Tap on “Windows/Start.”
- Type “Window+R.”
- Enter “MSC” & hit “Enter.”
- Find “QuickBooksDBXX service” in the service window.
- If you can’t see QuickBooksDBXX service:
- Check that you have installed the Database Server Manager on the server.
- After that, open QuickBooks, in case you run a complete program on your server.
- At last, enable the hosting by verifying it.
- Now, open “QuickBooksDBXX” and check that the status of startup type and service has started.
- Tap on “Recovery.”
- At last, “Save” all changes.
Second Step: Verifying the Hosting
- Firstly, open “QuickBooks” on all systems.
- Reach out to “File.”
- Then tap on “Utilities.”
- If “Host Multi-User Access” is visible on the list, it implies that the system can’t host the file.
- If “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” is visible then select it.
- Now, reach out to “Company.”
- Select “File Must Be Closed window.”
- Tap on “Yes.”
You Might Also Like, Easy Steps To Delete Deposit in Quickbooks – Complete Guide
Method 3: Edit the Host File
Step 1: Look for the IP Address and Server Computer Name
- Hold “Windows + R” and access “Run dialog box“.
- Then, write “Cmd” and press “Enter.” It will open a Command prompt window.
- After that, write “Ipconfig / all.” Press “Enter.”
- In the end, note down “Hostname & IP Address.”
- Repeat the steps for all systems that have a multi-user setup.
Step 2: Edit the Windows Hosts File
Now you have to start editing the Windows hosts file:
- First of all, you have to “exit from QuickBooks” then tap on “Start.”
- Now, reach out to the “PC” for the following: :\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc” or \Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc.
- In case, you can’t discover the “Windows folder” then follow the below discussed steps to view all hidden files.
- Tap on “View” and then on “Hidden items” to discover all hidden files.
- Then, right-tap on the “Hosts file” and choose “Open with.” then you need to access it via “Notepad.”
- Now provide “IP address & Computer Name“. Remember that when you type the details, instead of the spacebar use the “Tab key” to give space between the system name and the IP address.
Check out the picture below:
- In the end, “Save changes” and “reopen QBs via multi-user mode.”
Method 4: Using QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The server computer stores company files and enables you to share the files with other systems via the same network. We will use Quickbooks tool Hub in this method and use the Database Server Manager tab. Let’s check the steps:
- Open Quickbooks by tapping on its icon. (Downloading steps mentioned above.)
- Select “Network Issues.”
- Then, choose “QuickBooks Database Server Manager.”
- If you can see the company file, tap on “Start Scan.”
- In case, you are unable to see the folder, tap on browse and then search the name, then hit “Start Scan.”
- Now, the QuickBooks Database Server Manager will initiate a scanning process and automatically repair the error.
- In the end, tap on “Close” once the scan finishes.
Now, attempt to switch QBs into multi-user mode one more time to check if the Quickbooks Error H505 is successfully gone or not.
Method 5: Ping Server Computer From the Workstation
When you use the ping command on your system, you can check the connection between the workstations and the server. Before that, turn on Network Discovery on both the workstations and the server computer. Now, check the steps:
- Tap on “Start” on the workstations and server.
- Write “Network” in the box to access “Network and Sharing Center.”
- Now, select “Change Advanced Settings.”
- See that “Turn on Network Discovery” is chosen in the “Printer Sharing” section as well as “Network Discovery and File.”
For The Server Name:
- Tap on “Windows Start.”
- Write “Run” and open it.
- Inside it, write “CMD” and press Enter.
- Then, type “ipconfig/al” in the CMD screen. Hit “Enter.”
- In the section of “Windows IP Configuration”, look for the hostname and write it down somewhere.
Return to the Workstation and Test the Server by These Steps:
- Firstly, tap on “Start.”
- Write “Run” in the box to open it.
- Now, in the Run window, type “CMD.” Hit “Enter.”
- After that, drop “Ping_server name” then press “Enter.”
- Now, you have to follow the same steps on every client computer having QuickBooks error H505 to fix it.
You Might Also Like, How To Update Quickbooks? Get Latest Tools and Features
To Wrap Up
We request you to follow the methods given above step-by-step so that QuickBooks Error H505 is successfully fixed on your system. This post contains the most reliable information to help you out with this issue.
However, if you think you are stuck in a step then contacting Quickbooks Customer Support would be the best option. Their contact info is available online and you can get in touch with the expert team anytime.
This takes us to the end of this informative post. But you can always share your worthy experience and tips in the comments section below to help us and other readers.