QuickBooks file repair comes as the savior for repairing all the files that get damaged as an error’s consequences. Well, not only the QuickBooks error but also other reasons like improper system shutdown, large file size, and virus attack can lead to this issue. The error is known to be agitated because of the several issues it brings. But, you don’t need to be worried as we are here with this guide. Make sure to get into each section that tells about what things lead to QuickBooks file corruption, how you can identify the issue, and what are the ways to repair the file.
Now, let’s move together and explore different things associated with this agitated issue. Below is a fully described section on QuickBooks file repair. You can start from this first section and then jump correspondingly.
What is QuickBooks File Repair
QuickBooks file repair is a term used for repairing the corrupted QBW file. The user can receive the error text in the Verify Data Utility. Below are the following texts that come with this issue.
Error Message: “A data problem prevents QuickBooks from continuing” or “Verify Target: Values in minor do not match major.
With these texts, the user is denied access to the QB file. There also appears a suggestion within the message that states “restarting the system”. You can go with it to fix the issue. But, if the issue is still there then try out the troubleshooting after acknowledging all causes behind.
Factors that lead to QuickBooks File Repair
Now, we are moving on to the next section and learn what are the different reasons that bring corruption within the QBW file and thus lead the QuickBooks file repair.
- Facing technical issues while running the software
- System stop in between the procedure.
- Resources such as RAM, routers, network interface cards, virtual memory, and network cables are not present in the system.
- The QuickBooks database file has a limit of around 200 MB for QuickBooks Pro and 450 MB for QuickBooks enterprise. So, if the file size goes beyond leads to this issue.
- The hard drive gets corrupted with the virus attacks.
- A sudden power drop can damage the hard drive.
- Bad sectors are developing on the hard drive.
- Not using a proper UPS.
Any of these reasons can work to lead to this irritable error. You can now head towards the next section and learn the symptoms to detect this issue.
How to Find Corrupted Data Before Using QuickBooks File Repair?
There are a few ways you can find corrupted folders and files. To identify the damaged files follow the points below.
QuickBooks Desktop Crashes/Freezes
If your QuickBooks suddenly got frozen or crashed while downloading or installing any news updates of the software. Then chances are that your system might have some damaged data.
Issues when Opening a QuickBooks Company File
If you are facing any kind of issues or lags or strange behavior while using the QuickBooks Data File then the data files you are trying to access are corrupted. If the system has damaged data, then you can not also use the system in a multi-user environment.
Backup Restore Failed
You may also receive messages and error pop up while restoring a backup file of the company file.
Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File.
Error: Restore Failed. Can’t remove the log file.
Balance Sheet out of Balance in Accrual Basis
The sum of the liabilities and equity is different from the total assets. The difference indicates that the QuickBooks Desktop balance sheet is out of balance.
Account’s Changes Results
If you have recently changed the Accountant’s changes to a QBDT Company File, you might receive unexpected results and errors. The corruption may also occur due to the removal or change in the due date of the transactions of the Accountant’s copy.
Error in Data Utility
Users may also come across the errors like “A data problem prevents QuickBooks from continuing” while verifying the Data Utility on their PC screen or QBwin.log file.
Error in Transaction History
Your Transaction History might show a negative balance.
Data corruption in QuickBooks may come in many forms. A user should know that anything that seems strange while working in the software is a sign of QuickBooks corruption. We have listed some best methods to solve the problems. If you are also facing any kind of issues while using QuickBooks then read each and every method very carefully.
How to Prevent Data File Corruption?
Below are a few steps that would help you from damaged company files.
Back up Multiple Data Files:
The user should create multiple back-ups of the QuickBooks Desktop data file and then save them.
Condense the QuickBooks Files:
The users can repair files of any size, but the larger files might cause some problems while using the QuickBooks Data file. You can minimize the files with the help of the QuickBooks Condense Data utility.
Use Professional Servers and Workstations:
It will help you to optimize the performance of the QuickBooks Desktop by restricting the software from turning off abruptly.
Way to Repair Quickbooks File That Won’t Open
Now that you have identified the damaged and corrupted files, it is time to resolve the issue using QuickBooks File Repair software. So let us now explore different methods to Repair QuickBooks File.
Method 1: Verify and Rebuild Data
The tool helps to find out the error and damaged QuickBooks Data File. The Rebuild and Verify Data Utility fix the QuickBooks issues in the company data file.
a. To Rebuild the Data
- Tap on the File option.
- Then go to the Utilities and click on Rebuild Data.
- Hit the OK button in the QuickBooks Information window.
- After following the above step, click on the Yes option when the dialogue box will prompt Save a Backup.
- After completing the Rebuild process, tap on the OK button again.
b. To Verify the Data
- Tap on the File option and then search for the Utilities option.
- Hit the OK button when receiving the message “QuickBooks detected no problem with your data.”
- Verify helps to search the issues in the company file and tap on the View Error or the Rebuild Now option.
- After fixing the data, click on the Close button.
You can also use the QuickBooks File Doctor to resolve the problem.
Limitations of the Method:
The command of the Rebuild Data causes irreparable damage to the QuickBooks file which the user wants to repair.
Sometimes the user might also not get the desired result.
Method 2: Use Software for a Better File Repair Capabilities
Using specialized software QuickBooks File Repair Tool would help to faster solve the problems and for quick fixation of the damaged company file. Stellar Repair for QuickBooks Software was created for searching the corrupted files in the system and then solving the issue in the best risk-free way.
Features of the Software:
- The software helps to fix all the errors in QuickBooks Data File Repair.
- It also recovers the QBW files which include customers, vendors, companies, and employees.
- Users can also use the application as an advanced repair from the QuickBooks Backup (QBB) file.
- You can access the previews of the recovered QBW file records.
- The Stellar Repair for QuickBooks assists to repair the corrupted data files.
Steps to Use QuickBooks File Repair Software
- Choose the corrupted file that you want to repair.
- Now try to scan the folder/file and then preview the recoverable records.
- After following the above steps, save the recovered data file to an easily reachable location.
- Before buying the paid version of the software, try the free trial version first. Check whether the tool is working to solve your problems or not. After that consider buying the software.
Method 3: Fix the Damaged File using Free Tools
The users can also use the free tools to repair QuickBooks Files and recover them very easily.
QuickBooks File Doctor:
QuickBooks File Doctor is an essential QuickBooks File Repair software. The software helps to fix the internal issues including the damaged QuickBooks company file. File Doctor finds out the problems and then solves them with the help of multi-user setups.
- QuickBooks File Doctor resolves a bunch of errors like H202, H303, and H505.
- You may also experience a series of 6000 errors while opening the QBW file.
- However, you can not use the tool if the size of the file is larger than 2GB.
QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
The tool from Intuit, QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool also helps the user to solve the installation problems. The tool is also known as the QBInstall tool. However, the software has both pros and cons.
- It helps to solve the issue of “QuickBooks has stopped working.”
- The tool helps to find out the issue and then fix the problems with C++, .NET framework, MAXML, and other QuickBooks components.
- Users can only use the tool for limited recovery of error.
QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery
QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery (ADR) is a feature that helps the user to recover the damaged or lost data of your QuickBooks.
- The software helps to recover the lost transactions of the file.
- However, you cannot restore the transactions if they are not up to date.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Can I Repair A QB File in QuickBooks Desktop?
- Run QuickBooks File Repair Tool
- Verify Specific Accounts
- Merge the Damaged Items/Accounts/Names
- Clear the Customer Reports
- Run Rebuild Data Utility
- Re-Sort Files
How much Time Required to Repair a QuickBooks File?
It takes around 5 minutes to complete the repairing procedure. Make sure to access the QuickBooks company file after finishing the scanning. The result would state unsuccessfully even after fixing the issue.
How Can I use the QuickBooks File Doctor To Repair the QuickBooks File?
Using QuickBooks file doctor is another way to repair the corrupted and damaged QB files. You can head towards the steps below to use it:
- Close the QB desktop initially.
- Now, try to download the tool named QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once done, locate it somewhere on the location.
- Perform a double click and launch the file named QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Go through the instructions carefully.
- Also, agree to the terms and conditions.
- Launch the icon after the installation procedure ends.
- From the home context, choose Company File Issues.
- Consequently, choose Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Move towards the drop-down menu and select your QB file.
- You can hit Browse and Search if cannot find the file.
- Hit the tab named Check your file.
- Aftermath, choose Continue.
- Provide the relevant QuickBooks admin password.
- Proceed further by moving towards the Next.
- Restart the computer.
- Now, just check if QuickBooks still brings issues or not.
How Can I Delete A Report From QuickBooks Desktop?
- Navigate towards the Reports menu.
- Thereafter, choose Memorized Reports.
- Now, check out the Memorized Report List.
- Search for the report that you want to delete.
- Perform a right-click on the Report.
- Once done, click on Delete Memorized Report.
- You can also press Ctrl and D buttons together to delete it.
- Hit the OK button.
How to Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to Fix Corrupted QuickBooks File?
- Open the tool hub.
- Move towards the Home context.
- Choose Installation Issues.
- Thereafter, select QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool.
- Now, the tool will run and initiate the scanning procedure.
The article will help the users to resolve the corruption of the QuickBooks file repair. We also tried to describe the methods that would help you to repair and recover the QuickBooks file that won’t open. If you are still facing some problems and the above methods did not help you to resolve the error in your system then consider contacting the customer support of QuickBooks. You can access the 24/7 Helpline Number from the official website of QuickBooks.