QuickBooks cannot communicate with the company file or a QuickBooks firewall error occurs when the firewall interrupts the working procedure. You may encounter it during updating or running the QuickBooks software. Moreover, accessing the file in multi-user mode can also lead to the issue.
Many users also reported the issue while updating Windows operating system. It might be happened due to some kinds of technical glitches. QuickBooks is prone to bugs and issues so receiving this error is quite common. As a consequence of the issue, the user cannot easily get back to their company file and QuickBooks software.
It also resists the software to communicate with the QB file. Well, the firewall is not the only prime cause that brings obstructions to your working procedure. There are many more hidden inside the system. Go through the full article to learn what they are. Also, learn more about this issue.
Quickbooks Multi-User Mode Firewall Error / Cannot Communicate With Company File Issue
Quickbooks firewall error is a common error that is generally encountered by many QB users. This error interrupts the QB users while accessing Quickbooks company files. Basically, when this error occurred it indicates users to configure the firewall software.
When this error arrives, a dialogue box with an error message pops up on the screen and crashes the currently open windows. This error message stating: “It appears that the Quickbooks software on computer OWNER-PC is set up to allow shared access to the company file, but the Quickbooks software on your computer is unable to communicate with it.”
Moreover, the text contains the solution that involves a reconfiguration of the firewall on the network system. Not only this but the user is also recommended to examine the firewall settings through the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool. This issue may also deny you access to the company file and result in QuickBooks won’t open.
Well, the post below contains all the possible solutions including those that appeared with the error text. So, let’s move and learn. Also, check out the causes of the issue.
Factors That Causes The QuickBooks Firewall Error
Lots of factors can make you face this error. Some of them are given below:
- Improper configuration of the installed firewall.
- Not using the newest release of firewall on your device.
- DNS settings are not appropriate.
- The system has an outdated version of the QuickBooks desktop.
- QBDBMgrN used for multi-user mode is not running.
- Improper folder permissions obstruct the sharing path.
- The server connection has been lost.
- .ND files are damaged and missing.
- Some connectivity issues within the system.
The possibility of resolving this error goes high when you have acknowledged all the hidden factors and causes.
Methods to Fix QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Firewall Error
Execute the solutions as given below and resolve the error issue.
METHOD 1 Configure Windows and Third-Party Firewall
This is the first solution that we execute on our own to get rid of the issue. The solution would be done in two steps. So, follow each step carefully to configure the settings.
Step 1: Through Quickbooks Setup
- Firstly, ensure that the QuickBooks is up-to-date.
- Use the admin credentials to log in to QuickBooks.
- Make sure to run Axis as Administrator if QuickBooks is running as administrator or has elevated mode.
- After that, just ensure whether the system fulfills the Zed Axis System Requirements or not.
- Open the Windows task manager.
- Try to end the QuickBooks processes.
- There must be only one opened QuickBooks file on your system.
- Just ensure whether you can delete the old connection or not while connecting to the software.
- If not then tap Edit > Preference List > Integrated Application List.
- QuickBooks setup has been done now.
Just check out the error issue, if it still appears then try out the next step as well.
Step 2: Refresh the Quickbooks Interface Files, Continuously
When the Company files are not supported to the Quickbooks interface or the files are corrupted, the Quickbooks firewall error is initiated.
To resolve this error the user has to refresh the QB Interface files repeatedly through the following path:
- First of all the user has to take a backup of the company file to avoid any data damage.
- Now, the user has to find the Reeboot.bat file. To do so go to the C: Drive on the system
- Click on the Program file and then navigate to the Intuit option
- Inside Intuit window, select the Quickbooks to right-click on it, and choose Run as Administrator.
- After that, the user has to Reboot the Computer and again try to connect the system to one other.
METHOD 2 Download Quickbooks Update
- First of all, open the QuickBooks desktop and go to the Help Menu.
- Now click on the Update Quickbooks Option under the Help menu
- After that, click on the Update Now option here.
- Specify a tick mark on the box beside Update Now.
- Also, delete the previously downloaded update through the Reset Update button.
- This way the update will be installed in a lesser time.
- If there is any update available for Quickbooks, the Quickbooks will automatically start to download the latest release.
- After the update installation procedure completes, the user has to restart the system
- While restarting the system, allow all the positive options to install the new release.
METHOD 3 Run QuickBooks File Doctor
- Firstly, the user has to download QB file Doctor from the official site of Intuit.
- After the download save the setup file and Install it on your system
- Consequently, run the QuickBooks file doctor on the folder that needs diagnosis.
- When Quickbooks file doctors start scanning the file wait until the process completes.
- Once the process is finished, restart the system
Now, just examine the error issue on your system. If you find QuickBooks firewall error persists then jump to the next method.
METHOD 4 Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Just access the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Pick the Network Issues tab.
- Thereafter, choose QuickBooks database server manager.
- Hit tab named Start scan.
- If you could not find this option then head towards the Browse button.
- Meanwhile, it pops up the Start Scan option.
- After the scanning procedure, just check out the issue.
- If it is repaired, try to establish a connection with the QB file.
Try to verify the hosting with the next method if QuickBooks opens the QB file but could not connect to the database server.
METHOD 5 Verify Hosting on the Workstation
Make sure that the hosting is enabled on the host or server system only. If you somehow turn on the hosting on a workstation then verify and disable it through the steps below:
- First of all, launch QuickBooks
- Do not open the Company file immediately, head towards File menu > Utilities.
- Hit Workstation.
- It should be recommended to not select multi-user access.
- Pick another tab Stop hosting multi-user access.
Now, open your server computer and try to reset the hosting there.
- Start QuickBooks on the server.
- Thereafter, tap the File menu.
- Choose the utility button.
- Hit Host multi-user access.
- Again, choose File > Utilities.
- Select Stop hosting multi-user access.
- Do the same procedure 2-3 times to put an end to this task.
You May Also Like: How To Update Quickbooks? Get Latest Tools and Features
METHOD 6 Use QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
As given in the suggestion, we are here trying to use the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool to resolve the connectivity issues.
- Just visit the site where you get the download link for the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool.
- After downloading, save the file.
- Launch the installer saved as QBInstall_tool_vs.exe
- Consequently, close all the running programs and applications on your system.
- Try to reboot the software.
- Just check the internet connectivity. It should not be an obstacle in conducting any task.
- After that, close the background applications.
- Go through the instructions carefully for installing the diagnostic tool.
- Hit Next when you see a prompt.
- Again, click Next.
- Now, choose the folder for installing the file.
- Go through the license agreement and hit I agree.
- After completing the procedure, just wait till the program opens on your system.
- If you find any kind of obstacle, then select the QB icon.
- Visit the directory that has the files.
- Don’t select the Network connectivity option for single-user mode.
- Also, specify the admin and password when prompted.
- Click OK.
- Just choose the appropriate option from the host or workstation.
- The tool becomes ready to scan and diagnose the issue.
METHOD 7 Create QuickBooks .ND File
- To initiate, tap the Start menu.
- Enter QuickBooks database server manager inside the search field.
- Then, you need to click on QuickBooks database server manager.
- Hit the Add Folder button.
- Consequently, try to find out the QB folder for scanning purposes.
- Click on the Scan button
- The window prompts with all files under QuickBooks Company Files Found.
- Make sure to find out the Network data (.ND) file there.
METHOD 8 Add Windows Firewall Exceptions
If you still find the same issue then try to add Windows firewall exceptions to resolve the error. You are only required to add these files given below to allow QuickBooks.
- Open the Windows Firewall Advanced settings.
- Subsequently, perform a right-click on the Inbound Rules.
- Click the Programs button.
- Hit Next.
- Later, select “This Program Path”
- Make sure that you Browse the file now.
- After that, try to find out the files given above.
- Choose Next.
- Thereafter, pick Allow the Connection option.
- Again, choose Next.
- Select all the profiles.
- Also, hit Next.
- Give a name to the rule that is just built.
Try to consider the same steps for outbound rules as well by following the series. Right-click on Outbound rules < New Rule. In the last, just check whether this issue gets fixed or not.
METHOD 9 Examine QBDBMgrn.exe is running
QBDBMgrn.exe is an executable program that takes care of connectivity between multiple users of QuickBooks. Intuit has been designed to ensure the work process in different workstations. Here is how you should examine whether QBDBMgrn.exe is running or not.
- Tap Ctrl + Alt + Del buttons
- Open the Windows Task Manager.
- Go through the Processes tab.
- Subsequently, try to locate the QBDBMgrn.
- Try to provide admin rights to QuickBooks if you cannot locate the file by performing these steps:
- Access the Control Panel window.
- Choose User Accounts button.
- Click on Manage another account.
- Then, double-click on the QBDataServiceUser.
- After that, select Change Account Type.
- Also, hit the Administrator button.
- Try to make all the changes.
- Just close the Control panel.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1- How to fix ‘cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall’ in QuickBooks?
You can fix the issue in several ways. Like:
- Updating QuickBooks.
- Running QuickBooks file doctor.
- Verify hosting.
- Creating .ND file.
2- How can the QuickBooks tool hub help in resolving QuickBooks firewall error?
QuickBooks firewall error occurs due to connectivity issues. So, make sure to download the QuickBooks tool hub 18.104.22.168 to access tools like QuickBooks file doctor and QuickBooks database server manager. These two tools ensure the connection. However, if you don’t want to download the QuickBooks tool hub then try to use the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool. The official download link for this tool is presented on Intuit’s site. It is yet another best tool that is built to improve the QuickBooks access on multi-user mode.
3- How can I disable QuickBooks to access the Internet?
- Firstly, just open QuickBooks
- Try to sign in with proper admin credentials.
- Hit the Help menu.
- Later, click Internet connection setup.
- Just choose “I do not have an internet connection”
- Lastly, hit OK.
4- Can I allow QuickBooks through the firewall?
Yes, you can allow QuickBooks through the firewall by manual configuration of the firewall. Move towards the steps below to do so.
- Visit the Windows Search panel.
- Type Windows firewall there.
- Now, just hit enter to access the same.
- Click on the Advanced settings button.
- Subsequently, you need to perform a right-click on the Inbound Rules.
- Thereafter, choose New Rule.
- After that, hit Port.
- Choose Next.
- Select the TCP as well.
- Just provide the relevant ports for the software inside Specific local ports.
5- At what time do QuickBooks firewall error occur?
You can encounter the QuickBooks firewall issue while conducting the tasks given below:
- At the time of updating QuickBooks.
- Windows Update
- While working on the QuickBooks software.
- During establishing a connection in a multi-user environment.